Published: February 07, 2022
In most cases, there are portable storage units that go for sale when the owner abandons the space, stops paying for the space, or even sells the space and the items within them. And in some rare cases, these units get sold reasonably, yet are filled with precious items, that the owner may not have realized upon selling. Here is a list of the top 10 strangest and most valuable items found in portable storage units:
1. The James Bond car. In 1989, a man purchased the contents of a Long Island storage unit for less than $100, and that unit held one of the “submarine” cars from the 1977 James Bond film The Spy Who Loved Me.
2. NASA Rocket. In 2011, the crew of Spike TV’s Auction Hunters opened a storage unit in Miami and found NASA Equipment.
3. Snakes. A California storage user tried to hold 42 ball pythons inside their unit.
4. A grenade. A man in Michigan found a live hand grenade and called the police.
5. Aretha Franklin’s clothes. Ms. Franklin had a storage unit that she eventually stopped paying for and her iconic wardrobe was sold to the highest bidder.
6. Nicholas Cage’s Million Dollar Comic Book. Nicholas Cage’s extremely rare comic book went missing but was found in an abandoned storage unit.
7. Guy Fieri’s stolen car. The Lamborghini in a storage locker the thief rented.
8. Never-released Michael Jackson music. Over 250 original songs by Michael Jackson were once found in a storage unit belonging to his father.
9. Thousands of dollars in cash. A San Jose man bought a storage unit that contained thousands of dollars in rare coins, and gold and silver ingots.
10. Rare cars. A 1937 Bugatti 57S was discovered in an English storage garage, where it sat untouched for half a century.
This just goes to show that you may never know what is valuable in your storage unit. Look no further than UNITS® Moving and Portable Storage for your portable unit and storage needs! And learn more about these odd findings with the links below: