Published: June 15, 2023
Whether you’re preparing for a move to a new home, embarking on an extended vacation, or simply in need of storing your washing machine and dryer temporarily, it is crucial to take proper measures to safeguard your appliances and prevent any potential damage. In this article, we will provide you with a comprehensive set of tips and guidelines on how to adequately prepare your washing machine and dryer for storage, ensuring their optimal condition when you are ready to use them again.
1. To properly prepare your appliances for storage, it is crucial to invest some time in thorough cleaning and drying. Begin by removing any accumulated lint, dirt, or debris from both the dryer and washing machine. Afterward, take a clean, dry cloth and wipe down all surfaces, including the exterior and interior parts, removing any remaining dust or residue. To prevent the growth of mold or mildew during storage, ensure that the appliances are completely dry before placing them in their designated storage area. Moisture can lead to unpleasant odors, stains, or even damage to the appliances, so it is essential to allow sufficient time for drying.
2. Before storing your washing machine and dryer, it’s crucial to disconnect the power and water supply. Simply unplug both appliances from their electrical outlets and remember to turn off the water supply valves. For long-term storage, it’s recommended to remove the hoses and drain any remaining water from the machines. These steps will help safeguard your appliances and prevent potential damage.
3. To ensure the safety of your washing machine and dryer during storage, don’t forget to secure any loose parts or accessories. Check for detachable components such as lint traps or hoses and make sure they are securely fastened or stored alongside the appliances. This simple step will help protect these parts and ensure they are readily available when you need them again.
4. To safeguard your washing machine and dryer from dust and potential damage in storage, it is recommended to cover them with a protective layer. Use a clean, dry cloth or plastic wrap to shield the appliances from dust particles and any potential contact with other items. This simple step will help maintain the cleanliness and integrity of your appliances during their time in storage.
5. For optimal storage conditions, it’s important to choose a suitable environment for your washing machine and dryer. Store the appliances in a dry, temperature-controlled environment. Avoid storing your washing machine and dryer in areas that are prone to moisture or extreme temperatures, like a damp basement or a hot attic. Instead, choose a cool, dry location that is free from direct sunlight. You can also store your washing machine and dryer off-site, especially if you are looking to store them for a longer time! UNITS Moving and Portable Storage has climate-controlled storage facilities all over the nation that are secure and perfect for storing over a long period of time.
By following these essential steps to prepare your washing machine and dryer for storage, you can enhance the longevity and performance of your appliances, minimizing the risk of damage or malfunctions. Taking the time to implement these preventive measures will not only safeguard your valuable investments but also provide you with the peace of mind that your appliances will be in optimal working condition when the time comes to use them again. With proper care and attention, you can effectively maintain the functionality and efficiency of your washing machine and dryer, prolonging their lifespan and ensuring hassle-free laundry experiences in the future. For the best storage solution for storing your washing machine and dryer, visit UNITS Moving and Portable Storage or give us a call at (855) 981-8648.