Published: March 02, 2017
Whether you’re moving for the first time or have moved many times over the years, there are always new steps you can take to improve the moving process. Here are 4 ways to move more efficiently:
1. Label every side of the box.
With UNITS, you can decide to pack your portable storage unit at your leisure or you can let movers help with the packing. Whatever way you choose, you’ll want to ensure that you know exactly what is in each of your boxes, especially if any of the items are fragile. Labeling every side of the box including the top and the bottom, is a quick and easy step that will make your move much more effective.
2. Keep a packing checklist.
Packing is an overwhelming task that can quickly get the best of you, but the best way to take the reigns of the situation is to make a packing checklist. If you love to write tasks out, buy a small notebook from your local office supply store and use it to create a daily packing checklist as well as to write down any notes you’d like to remind yourself about the moving process like what time your portable storage unit will arrive, when the movers will arrive, when you need to have water turned on in your new home, etc. If you don’t like having to keep up with a notebook, apps like Evernote can help you make a digital checklist and take notes right on your phone.
3. Don’t actually pack clothes.
This may seem like a strange notion, but it’s really one of the best ways to make your move more efficient. For clothes hanging in your closet, simply remove them right before you move and lay them flat in the backseat of your cars. This will allow you to hang them up immediately when you arrive at your new home.
Additionally, leave shorts, t-shirts, socks and other under garments in your dresser drawers, then remove the drawers so they can be stacked in the moving van. Use saran wrap to cover the drawers to ensure the items don’t fall out and to ensure they stay clean. Removing and stacking your dresser drawers is a technique many movers use during the moving process anyways, so keeping your clothing items in them is just an added bonus.
4. Pack a “ready to-go” bag in an old duffel bag or suitcase.
A “ready to-go” bag is a simple bag that contains some of your most essential items. This will make your transition in your new home much easier.
Here are a few things you should pack:
– Toiletries (i.e. toothbrush, straightener, brush, etc.)
– Medications (i.e. any medications you’re currently taking or medicine like ibuprofen, Pepto Bismol or cough drops)
– A few of your children’s most loved toys. This is a great way to ensure they’ll be able to entertain themselves while you’re unpacking.
– All electronic devices (i.e. laptops, tablets, phone chargers, etc.)
– A few of your favorite and most comfortable in season clothing.
– Your pet’s food, bed and toys.
– A variety of snacks. This will ensure that growling stomachs and headaches are quickly cured which makes the moving process much more bearable.
The pros at UNITS are always willing to help you make your move simpler. Call UNITS today at 855-981-8648 to learn more about how we can assist you during the moving process.