Published: December 20, 2021
There are lots of packing and organizing strategies when it comes to fitting your belongings in cardboard boxes. As we mentioned in an earlier post, the big benefits of cardboard boxes are their wide availability, affordability, and versatility. They can come in a variety of shapes and sizes to fit many specific, hard-to-pack or fragile items. The packing and moving experts here at UNITS® Moving and Portable Storage have compiled a list of helpful tips when it comes to packing moving boxes.
- Get quality packing supplies. Try and get your hands on some real moving boxes – not just any boxes are suitable for holding heavy or fragile items without losing some of their structural integrity. Gather strong packing tape, as well as packing paper, bubble wrap, packing peanuts, and other insulation you may need. Grab some labels while you’re at it too, along with some permanent markers – you’ll want to keep track of what’s in each box.
- Sort your items by category or room. Go room by room, tackling small areas at a time. You’ll want to group items together that are of similar size, shape, and weight. Label what the general category of item is in the box and label which room it belongs to.
- Take advantage of all the space in the box. If you have good moving boxes, they can hold a good amount of weight – up to about 30 pounds (try not to go over, though). Boxes that aren’t filled up all the way can collapse under pressure. If you’re packing fragile items, you’re going to want to pack at least two inches of insulation on all sides.
- Take your time packing fragiles. It’s always better to overpack breakable items like glass or ceramic. Pack plates upright, and pack cups, mugs and bowls with insulation between each item. The time you take packing your fragiles could mean the difference between a safe journey and finding something broken while unpacking.
- Seal and label each box properly. Use strong packing tape while sealing your boxes. Wrap the tape along where the flaps close and then perpendicularly across the flaps. As mentioned, label each box with the category of item and which room it’s intended for.
With these tips from UNITS® Moving and Portable Storage, you’ll be sure to pack your portable storage container efficiently.
Remember – you don’t have to rely on movers or drive a clunky box truck. Call us at one of our nationwide locations and we’ll deliver a sturdy, weather-resistant portable storage container right to your doorstep. After that, take as much time as you need packing it using these tips. Once you’re ready for transport, call us, and we’ll take it to one of our climate-controlled facilities.
It’s just that easy! Call UNITS® Moving and Portable Storage today.