Published: October 11, 2021
Between the different sizes of containers UNITS® Moving and Portable Storage offers, it can be hard to choose which size will fit your needs best. The storage experts here at UNITS have put together a helpful guide on how to determine which size container would best fit your needs. Read on to learn more.
Picking the right size container can depend on a couple different factors, like intended use, availability, and how much you’re wanting to store. Keep these in mind when choosing your UNITS container.
- Figure out the primary function of your container. The last thing you want is to outgrow a container and then move everything into a bigger one. First, figure out exactly what you’re planning on using this container for. For example, if you’re looking for some temporary storage for a move, you may want to go with a smaller size; if you’re looking to store a growing business inventory, opt for the bigger size. Some questions you might ask yourself are:
- Will I be rotating things in and out of the container?
- Do I need temporary storage for a move?
- Do I want to store items indefinitely?
- Am I storing an expanding business inventory?
- Do a preliminary inventory check. Even if you have a general idea of what you’re looking to store in your container, walking around your house (or whatever you’re planning on storing) with a list can be extremely helpful. This will give you a more concrete idea of what will actually go in your container. Be sure to get rough measurements of larger pieces and include roughly how many moving boxes you’ll need.
- When in doubt, go a size bigger. Nickel-and-diming yourself and opting for a smaller storage unit isn’t always the best or safest idea. Forcing your items into a tight space will only damage them. As always, be sure to follow the golden rules of packing and storing: don’t stack heavier boxes on top of lighter ones, don’t stack boxes above shoulder height, and avoid stacking furniture more than two pieces tall. More space for your belongings makes for less damage by overcrowding or overstuffing.
With these essential tips from UNITS® Moving and Portable Storage, you’re sure to pick the best UNIT container size for your needs. Remember to contact us at one of our nationwide locations for a free quote on our containers!