Published: May 01, 2022
If you’re like most people, when you move, the last thing you want to do is unpack. But if you have a baby, unpacking becomes even more important – not only to get your home organized, but also to make sure that your baby has everything they need right at their fingertips.
Here are 10 tips from UNITS Moving and Portable Storage for making unpacking after a move with a baby as smooth and stress-free as possible:
- Label boxes clearly. It may seem like an obvious tip, but labeling boxes clearly can save a lot of time and hassle later on. Make sure to include which room each box should go in, as well as any specific contents that might be helpful to know (“baby clothes,” “diapers,” etc.).
- Set up the nursery as soon as possible. This may seem like a daunting task, but it will be much easier to do while everything is still in boxes and labeled accordingly. Plus, you’ll want your baby to have a familiar place to sleep and play as soon as possible.
- Make use of storage containers. Storage containers can be a lifesaver when it comes to unpacking after a move. Not only do they help keep everything organized, but they also free up valuable counter and cabinet space.
- Create a designated spot for everything. This goes hand-in-hand with using storage containers – by having a specific spot for everything, you’ll be less likely to lose things in the chaos of unpacking.
- Utilize vertical space. Don’t forget that if you have lots of extra storage space in your home – you just need to use it wisely. Try stacking boxes on top of each other or using a hanging shoe rack to store diapers, wipes, and other baby supplies.
- Take advantage of technology. With so many devices now able to connect to the internet, there’s no need to lug around all your old CDs, DVDs, and books. Instead, store them in the cloud or on an external hard drive until you have time to unpack them properly.
- Make a list of what you need. This may seem like overkill, but it can be really helpful to have a list of the bare essentials that you need to buy once you’ve moved in. That way, you won’t waste time (or money) running out to the store for things that you could have easily packed in your moving boxes.
- Let the kids help. One of the best ways to make unpacking go quickly is to get the whole family involved. Not only will it make the process move along more quickly, but it will also give your kids a sense of ownership and responsibility for their new home.
- Take breaks. Unpacking can be exhausting, especially when you have a baby to take care of as well. So take a break every once in a while, put your feet up, and let someone else take over for a little while.
- Relax and enjoy your new home! Once everything is unpacked, take some time to relax and enjoy your new space. Invite friends and family over for dinner, have a picnic in the backyard, or just spend some quality time with your loved ones. Unpacking can be stressful, but it’s worth it when you finally get to relax in your new home.
So there you have it – 10 tips for making unpacking after a move with a baby as smooth and stress-free as possible. By following these tips from UNITS Moving and Portable Storage, you’ll be able to get your home organized in no time!